Sunday, November 24, 2013

AT Hike Details

OK, so I mentioned my Appalachian Trail hiking  trip in my last post but didn't get into any of the details.  Here they are...

My friend, we'll call him "Max," decided he wants to hike the AT.  He's not going to hike the whole thing, but half of it, which is still a heck of a long way.

He's planning to start in Harpers Ferry, WV and start walking north to Maine, 1,165 miles.  He'll start in June 2014.

I once planned to hike the full length of the AT, but as so often happens, my plans were put on hold by family responsibilities.  It's hard to take five or six months off when you've got a wife and kid.  Max, on the other hand, has kids who are graduating soon from high school and as for the wife... well, that's the catalyst for the sudden urge to drop everything and walk 1,000 miles.

As much as I'd like to accompany him on his trip, I still have a few years before my child finishes high school and as a result, my wife still has a lot of sway in my life decisions.  While I can't do the whole thing with him, I agreed to hike some part of it and/or go with him on a warm-up hike of sorts.

We decided to start with the warm-up hike over spring break in April.  I have five days off from work and he will be available as well.  My first thought was to hike the AT through Maryland, our current state of residence.  It's only about 40 miles, easily obtainable in about four days.  The trip would take us from Penmar, PA south to Harpers Ferry, WV.  Max didn't like this idea though, because his long trip will start in Harpers Ferry and go north, covering the Maryland section again.  He didn't want to do one section twice, so we decided to start in Harpers Ferry and go south for the warm-up hike.

A four day trip from Harpers Ferry south, averaging a little more than 10 miles per day, would take you about to Virginia Route 55 just outside Front Royal.  The actual distance is 45.7 miles.  I think it's doable.

And so the planning begins.  As I mentioned previously I am awaiting my new pack.  I also spent some time today making a beer can alcohol stove.  I have another stove so I'll post something on stove selection later.  I'm also looking at shelter options so that post will follow as well.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment