Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Salesman of the Year!

I may have posted it on here somewhere, maybe not, but I'm in the market for a sailboat.  I've been looking at several on Craigslist and I came across one the other day.  It's one of the worst ads I've ever seen.

First, the title says "Sailboar - $990," and yes, that's his typo, not mine.  Then the ad goes on to explain that it's a 25 foot boat, eight foot beam, draws 2.5 feet of water, etc.  But it never actually says what kind of boat it is.

There are three pictures of the boat on a trailer, taken at night, from below and close up, so you really can't make that much out.  So I email the guy, hoping to get a little more information, like the make and model and whether or not it comes with a trailer.  The ad mentions that he can trailer it to the new owner but that's it.

Here's what I said:

_________________

Hi,
What kind of boat is this?  Are you including the trailer with the boat?
Thanks,
Matt
_________________

And here's his response:
_________________

It is a $1000 boat. does it matter beyond that. I will throw in the trailer for an extra $32,000.
Thanks
_________________

OK then. From the pictures it doesn't look like much more than a free boat you see on Craigslist, so yes, I think the make and model might matter a little bit.  That's like someone trying to sell a car and saying "Car -$990, 4 wheels, steering wheel, seats."

Looking back at the pictures, the trailer that the boat is on is obviously a nicer trailer for transporting boats and not one that would come with a boat, but seriously?  Can't you just say, no, it doesn't come with a trailer?

How would you ever think that you could make a sale being a total jerk like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment