Thursday, August 7, 2008

Badminton! Yes, Badminton.

The 2008 Olympics are heating up with soccer games already underway. But I can't wait for the world's second biggest sport to begin. Yes, that would be badminton.

But of course the U.S. Badminton Team is made up of mostly Asians, where the sport is like football here in the U.S.

Most Asians I talked to when I lived there were shocked that badminton in the U.S. was little more than a game we played just for fun at Fourth of July picnics as children.

In Indonesia you could drive down the street and see pick-up games of badminton, sans net, just like you would see pick-up games of basketball here. I've never seen a birdie move so fast.

And in every sporting goods store you were sure to find high quality badminton rackets and shuttlecocks or "birdies" with real feathers, not the cheap plastic kind.

So you can be sure my eyes will be on the badminton this year. But I don't think I'll root for the U.S. team on this one. Go Indonesia!

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you Go Indonesia! After y'all left the boys picked up badminton and would regularly challenge the drivers to play them. I would look out the window there would be Rudy, Jamhari and Haryono taking on Dave, Colin and 'Lonzo! Too much fun.

    ReplyDelete